INGREDIENTS (3 rolls):
400 g boneless beef rump (thinly sliced), 70 g string beans, 1/2 carrot, salt, pepper, sesame oil, 1 burdock root ("gobo"), starch, cooking oil
HOW TO COOK:
(A): 4 tablespoons soy sauce ("shoyu"), 2 tablespoons sweetened cooking "sake" ("mirin"), 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons "sake" (Japanese rice wine)
(B): 150 ml fish, kelp-flavored stock ("nidashijiru"), 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Mix ingredients for (A) in bowl. Marinate beef in (A) for about 30 minutes.
- Siring beans. Pare and cut carrot into matchstick-size pieces. Boil string beans and carrot for 1-2 minutes and drain in colander. Heat sesame oil in frying pan and saute string beans and carrot, season with salt and pepper. Remove and let cool.
- Wash burdock and scrape off thin brown skin with back of knife. Cut into quarters lengthwise and soak briefly in water containing vinegar to prevent discoloration. Boil for a few minutes in fresh water containing vinegar and drain in colander. Mix ingredients for (B) and boil in pot. Add burdock and continue cooking until soft. Remove burdock and let cool.
- Divide (1) into thirds, flatten one by one on cutting board, flour with starch and roll with (2) and (3) inside. Wet rolled edge and press to seal well.
- Preheat oven to 500F (250C). Lightly grease oven plate with cooking oil. With rolled edge down, place (4) on oven plate and bake for 10-12 minutes (when baking in high-speed gas oven), until brown. Baste beef with remaining (A) every 4-5 minutes.
- Can be panbroiled thoroughly in a frying pan.
- Cut (5) into bite-size pieces and place on serving plate. * Garnish with leaves and/or pickled vegetables cut decoratively (for example, like flower).
calories: 279 kcal, protein: 24.9 g, fat: 7.7 g, carbohydrate: 23.4 g, fiber: 0.9 g, calcium: 50 mg, iron: 3.4 mg, sodium: 1,662 mg, potassium: 762 mg, vitamin A: 1,072 IU, vitamin B1: 0.17 mg, vitamin B2: 0.35 mg, vitamin C: 6 mg, salt: 4.5 g