CHICKEN AND JAPANESE RADISH ("DAIKON") SIMMERED IN SOY SAUCE
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
8 chicken wings, 800 g Japanese radish, 100 g radish greens
HOW TO COOK:
Seasonings:5 tablespoons soy sauce ("shoyu"), 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons sweetened cooking "sake" ("mirin"), 100 ml "sake" (Japanese rice wine), salad oil, salt
- Place knife at the joint of chicken wing and cut off tips.
- Slice radish into 2 cm pieces and pare off thick outer layer. Round corners of cut-ends.
- Heat salad oil in a pot. Place (1) in pot and saute over high heat until golden brown.
- Drain excess grease. Add (2) and continue to saute. Add enough water to cover ingredients and simmer.
- When water boils, skim off foam and simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes. Turn heat low and add seasonings. Continue to simmer on low.
- Boil radish greens in salted water until tender and cut into 4 to 5 cm pieces. Set aside some portion of stock from (5) in a bowl and soak boiled radish in it.
- Cook (5) until sauce simmers down. Garnish with (6) and serve.
calories: 355 kcal, protein: 17.3 g, fat: 20 g, carbohydrate: 17.7 g, fiber: 1.5 g, calcium: 130 mg, iron: 2.6 mg, sodium: 1,495 mg, potassium: 738 mg, vitamin A: 493 IU, vitamin B1: 0.12 mg, vitamin B2: 0.19 mg, vitamin C: 48 mg, salt: 4 g