DEEP-FRIED SPICY CHICKEN AND BURCOCK
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
2 burdock roots ("gobo"), 150 g boneless chicken breast, "sake" (Japanese rice wine), salt, 4 perilla leaves ("shiso" or "oba"), salt, oil for deep frying
HOW TO COOK:
Mustard batter:2 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon Japanese mustard, 4 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons water
- Wash burdock and scrape off thin brown skin. Cut into 5 cm x 4 mm matchstick-size pieces and soak in water to keep color. Blanch quickly in boiling water and drain in colander. Sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- Thinly slice chicken diagonally into bite-size pieces; sprinkle with salt and "sake."
- Beat egg yolks with chilled water and mustard. Fold flour into yolk to make batter.
- Heat oil to 360F (180C). Dip (1) and (2) together in (3) and deep fry by spoonful. Drain on paper towels.
- Deep fry perilla leaves without dipping in batter. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with salt.
calories: 402 kcal, protein: 11.9 g, fat: 30.9 g, carbohydrate: 20 g, fiber: 1.1 g, calcium: 58 mg, iron: 1.5 mg, sodium: 328 mg, potassium: 346 mg, vitamin A: 255 IU, vitamin B1: 0.09 mg, vitamin B2: 0.15 mg, vitamin C: 3 mg, salt: 0.8 g