TOFU AND ROOT VEGETABLES
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
HOW TO COOK
- 2 blocks kinugoshi tofu
- 60 grams "yamaimo" (mountain yam)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 sheet "kikurage"
- 50 grams carrots
- 6 shrimp
- a [1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sake, 2 teaspoons sugar]
- 12 boiled gingko nuts
- b [5 cups dashi, 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, 3 tablespoons sake, 1 1/2
- 8 small taro ("satoimo")
- 6 cm gobo (burdock)
- 8 small fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 pumpkin
- 1/2 stick "momiji fu"
- salad oil
- oil for deep frying
- "Hirousu" (tofu and vegetable balls)
- Press water from the tofu
- Soak the kikurage until soft; drain. Cut kikurage and carrots in julienne strips.
- Peel and devein shrimp, cut each in half
- Grate the yamaimo, add (1), add eggs, (a), sesame seeds and add (2)
- Separate (4) into 12 portions, grease hands lightly with salad oil, and roll each portion into ball, adding a gingko nut in the center of each ball. (The oil
will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.)
- Deep fry (5) in medium heat oil.
- Add half of (b) to a pot and bring to a boil. Add (6) and cook.
- Root vegetables
- Peel the taro and gobo, and cut the gobo as follows: slice lengthwise into
several strips. Slice each strip several times again, leaving intact at base so
that the strips flower out, making a brush or broom shape. Boil.
- Clean the shiitake mushrooms and cut off stem
- Cut the pumpkin into wedge shapes
- Cook (8), (9), and (10) in (b)
- Serve on a large platter.
I Cooking Index I Japanese Text I