GRATIN OF CHICKEN AND EGGPLANT
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
HOW TO COOK
- 2 small eggplants ("kamo nasu")
- 100 grams chicken (thigh meat)
- 1/2 onion
- 5 mushrooms
- 30 grams butter
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- white sauce [butter, 30 grams flour, 3 cups milk, pinch salt, pinch pepper]
- 50 grams cheese (use cheese which is easily melted)
- chopped parsley
- oil for deep frying
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, leaving the stem on. Scoop out the
middle and cut the meat into 1 cm pieces. Put both the meat and the eggplant
"shells" in water and set aside briefly.
- Squeeze the water from the eggplant shells and deep fry, being careful to
maintain their shape
- Cut the chicken into large bite-size pieces; thinly slice the onion and
- White sauce: melt butter in heavy pan, add flour and cook slowly; avoid
burning; add the milk a little at a time, thickening slowly. Cook a little more
and add salt, pepper to taste.
- In a separate pan, melt butter and add (in order) onion, the meat from one
eggplant, chicken and mushrooms ; stir-fry, adding salt and pepper. Mix in about
half the white sauce from (4) and fill the eggplant shells (2).
- Put the stuffed eggplant shells in a baking pan and cover with the remaining
white sauce. Top with thinly sliced cheese. Bake in gas oven at 230 degrees for
- When done, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
I Cooking Index I Japanese Text I