DEEP FRIED OCTOPUS AND CHEESE WITH GOLDEN BATTER
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
2 boiled octopus tentacles, 8 perilla leaves ("oba" or "aojiso"), 80 g processed cheese
HOW TO COOK:
Golden batter:50 g all-purpose flour, 2 egg yolks, salt, fish and kelp-flavored stock ("nidashijiru")
Garnishes:10 g dried buckwheat noodles, 13 (4 x 4 cm) sheets of dried laver ("asakusa-nori")
- Slice octopus diagonally.
- Wash perilla leaves, cut lengthwise into halves.
- Cut cheese into 5 mm thick slices, then each slice into three pieces.
- Place (3) on (2), roll up and sandwich with two octopus pieces.
- Mix all ingredients for golden batter lightly. Dip (4) into batter and deep-fry until golden.
- Boil buckwheat noodles for a few minute. Noodles should not be soft, but still hard in the center. Cut into 2 cm lengths. Cut dried laver into 5 mm-wide strips. Place noodles on dried laver, roll up and deep-fry.
- Arrange (5) on serving plate and sprinkle with (6).
calories: 313 kcal, protein: 18 g, fat: 21.1 g, carbohydrate: 10 g, fiber: 0.1 g, calcium: 157 mg, iron: 0.7 mg, sodium: 437 mg, potassium: 166 mg, vitamin A: 516 IU, vitamin B1: 0.1 mg, vitamin B2: 0.2 mg, vitamin C: 1 mg, salt: 1.1 g