Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
3 eggs, 500cc dashi (ichiban-dashi), 1/2 teaspoon salt,
1/2 teaspoon usukuchi (lightly flavored) soy sauce, 50 g sasami
chicken meat, 4 shrimps, 50 g shimeji mushrooms, 4 slices of kamaboko,
half stalk of mitsuba (trefoil), yuzu (citron) peel.
Making egg mixture
- Break eggs in a large ball. Draw the letter Z on the bottom with the
tip of the chopsticks, do not foam.
- Little by little, add cooled dashi and then salt, soy sauce.
- To improve texture, strain egg through a net.
- Remove white sinewy tissue from sasami chicken meat. Cut into
bite size pieces. Sprinkle with soy sauce.
- Remove black vein from shrimps. Devine except for tail. (see "seafood
- Remove roots of shimeji mushrooms, tear into easy to eat pieces.
- Cut mitsuba (trefoil) into 3cm pieces.
- Thinly slice peel of yuzu.
How to make:
- Prepare 4 Chawan mushi serving cups. If serving cups with lids are
not available, use tea cup covered with aluminum foil.
- Divide fillings into 4 except for mitsuba and yuzu strips,
neatly place filling and kamaboko slices in individual cups.
- Pour in egg mixture.
- Fill a double-boiler pan (mushiki) half full with water.
- When water comes to a boil, place cups in to steam.
- Cover with cheesecloth, place lid slightly off so that steam can escape.
- Heat 1-2 minutes on a strong fire, reduce heat and cook for an additional
12-15 minutes. If the fire is too strong or if steamed too long, Chawan
mushi becomes spongy, loses flavor and attractiveness.
- Insert bamboo stick to check readiness. If clear liquid rises Chawan
mushi is ready.
- Take cups out of steamer. Top with mitsuba and yuzu,
- Chawan mushi is served chilled in summer, hot in winter.
note: When double boiler is unavailable, place net on bottom of
pot. Chawan mushi can also be prepared in the oven . Place cups in large
pan 70% filled with water. Bake at170 c for 20 minutes. To prevent the surface
from burning, double cover ( under lids) with aluminum foil.
|Divide fillings into 4 except for mitsuba and yuzu
strips, neatly place filling and kamaboko slices in individual cups.
||Pour in egg mixture.
||Cover with cheesecloth, place lid slightly off so that steam
||Take cups out of steamer. Top with mitsuba and yuzu,