Kansai style Okonomiyaki
Ingredients: (for 1 serving)
50-60 g flour, 1 egg, 1 cup dashi, 1-2 Tablespoons grated yamaimo
(mountain potato), 70 g cabbage.
As desired: mirin, salt, 20-30 g thinly sliced pork, 1/2 squid, 10-20
small shrimp, cleaned and shelled, 2-3 whole oyster, oil.
- In a bowl mix egg add yamaimo.
(Powdered yamaimo can be used)
- Add salt, a little mirin, then flour. Mirin removes the
note: Okonomiyaki mix can also be used. Just add egg and water.
Filling; Add any combination of ingredients to cabbage.
- Dice cabbage to 1-1.5 mm pieces
- Cut pork into 3 cm. pieces. Remove skin of squid. Cut into small pieces.
- Wash shrimp and drain.
How to make:
- Add cabbage and filling to batter.
- Pre-heat hot plate or fry pan. Cover surface completely with oil.
- Pour batter into a circle about 20 cm in diameter.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over with a spatula
- Cook for about 5 min until completely cooked.
Be careful not to overcook or burn. Do not press down on it.
- Before eating one or a combination of the following sauces:
Mayonaisse, tonkatsu or okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mustard
(wagarashi). Catsup or any strong flavored sauce will do.