Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
Sushi meshi (4 cups rice, 10 cm of dashi konbu (kelp),
1 Tablespoon sake), Awasezu (vinegar mix; 3 Tablespoon Vinegar,
3 tablespoons Sugar, 2/3 Tablespoons salt), 8 sheets of Yakinori (seeweed),
5 cm daikon (raddish), 1/2 pack of kaiware daikon (raddish
sprouts),1 piece of yaki anago (broiled eel), 8 shrimps, 2 eggs,
8 shiso leaves, 1 cucumber, 4 umeboshi.
Sushi meshi (rice):
- Wash rice, add water and konbu (kelp). Soak for 30 minutes,
remove konbu and then add sake. Cook rice.
- Make awasezu: Mix vinegar, sugar, and salt in bowl. Let it stand.
- Rinse hangiri (rice mixing bowl), remove excess water.
- Remove cooked rice and place into hangiri. Mix Awasezu
into rice. Use a hand fan (or improvise) and wave rapidly over steaming
rice to cool it down, then add mix evenly over rice. (please see "sushi
meshi" for more detail with illustarations)
Pre-prepared awasezu (vinegar mix) may be used.
How to make:
- Cut daikon in to 5 cm sticks.
- Wash kaiware daikon (raddish sprouts) and cut off stems.
- Slightly mix an egg without foaming, add a pinch of salt. Add sugar
or dashi to taste.
- Heat oil in skillet or square rolled egg making pan. Add half the egg,
as it cooks, roll gently from front to back to form a rolled egg. When
roll is completed , add more oil to pan and pull rolled egg towards you.
Repeat this process with the other half of the egg. (please see "rolled
Remove eggs from pan. Cut cooled eggs into 5 cm pieces.
Cut yaki anago into pieces of 1.5 cm width and 5 cm length.
- Insert a toothpick under dark vein of shrimps and remove vein. Boil,
then remove shells.
- Wash then dry shiso leaves.
- Cut cucumber into quarters, then into strips about 10 cm long.
- Remove pits from umeboshi. Mash to a paste with a knife.
- Cut yakinori in to 4 pieces. See glossary if using regular nori.
- Decoratively place prepared fillings on a large plate.
- Form temakizushi by placing sushi rice on nori.
Put 1. or more of the ingredients on the rice. Use a litle wasabi
(Japanese horseradish) for the seafood.
Wrap the nori around rice and other ingredients. Before eating,
dip in soy sauce and wasabi.
Maki sushi is difficult to form neatly if too much rice is used at
one time. Try a variety of filling combinations
How to cook