Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
4 shrimps, 4 kisu (white sillago fish), squid, 1/4 pumpkin, 2
small eggplants (nasu), 1/2 gobou (burdock root), 4 fresh
shiitake, 8 shishito (spicy green peppers), small lotus root
(renkon), 4 oba (beefsteak leaves).
Batter; 1 egg, 2 cups cold water, 2 cups flour.
Tempura dipping sauce; 1 cup dashi,1/4 cup mirin,1/4 cup soy
sauce,1 cup daikon oroshi (grated raddish), grated ginger as desired,
- Pumpkin: remove seed, peel skin, cut into bite size peices.
- Eggplant: without removing the skin, cut tip off, cut lengthwise. Cut
halves into strips.
- Gobou: Clean well. Remove skin with the back of a knife. Cut
in strips. Soak in water to remove aku.
- Shitake: Remove stem, Score a X on the inner side.
- Shishito: To prevent them from exploding, cut hole.
- Lotus Root: remove skin. Cut into 6-7 mm strips.
- Wash beefsteak leaves and dry.
- Shrimp: remove shell, head, spine.
- Kisu: Remove skin and bones. Cut into bite size pieces
- Squid remove skin, score back a few times cut into 4 to 5 cm pieces
- Right before serving, add daikon oroshi, ginger to taste
other options: mix salt, maccha (green tea powder), sansho.
How to Make:
- Make Tempra Batter:
Mix egg add ONLY ice water to insure crippiness. Use 1:5 ratio, egg to
water. Mix in sifted flour light but not completely with chopsticks. Make
batter immedietly before cooking.
- Frying :
In a heavy pan or skillet, Fill pan to about 75% capacity with oil.
- Heat oil to 160-180C . Check readiness of oil tempurature by dropping
a bit of batter, if it floats to the top immedietly the oil is ready.
- Fry harder vegtables first. Avoid using too much batter. Only fry the
inner side of shitake and shiso. Fry all other items on both
sides. Fry 3-5 strips of gobou together.
Do not put too many pieces into the pan at one time. Keep it half full.
The tempurature of the oil will decrease too quickly if too many pieces
are added .
- When the outer edges look cooked, turn over. Repeat twice. Remove completed
tempra and place on rack to drain excess oil.
- Cook vegatables first, then seafood. Before dipping fish in batter,
dust with flour. Hold shrimp and fish by the tail when dipping. Turn over
as each piece floats to the top. Small bubbles will form at this time.
Remove to rack. Do not over cook
- Tempura can be served either in individual portions or on a large platter.
- Place daikonoroshi and ginger into tempura sauce.
|Shrimp: remove tail.
||Devine and make a small cut for shaping.
||Straighten the shrimp for better frying.|
|Arrange vegetables and seafood before frying
||Mix egg and flour with ice water to insure crippiness
||Do not put too many pieces into the pan at one time.
||Seafood: Turn over as each piece floats to the top. Small
bubbles will form at this time.|