How to make Dashi
There are several type of dashi,
each for it's own use.
- Ichiban dashi (1st brewed); for clear soup or noodle soup.
- Niban dashi (2nd brewed); for general use.
- Konbu dashi; for nabemono and tofu.
- Niboshi dashi; for miso soup.
Ichiban Dashi (1st dashi)
10 cm square of konbu (10g dried kelp), 10-20 g dried katsuobushi,
5 cups of water.
- Wipe surface of kelp, removing dirt and sand by slightly damp kitchen
- Place water and kelp into pot, heat them on middle (rather low) flame.
- Remove kelp when kelp comes up on surface. If you boil dashi,
it becomes slimy and murky.
- Just before it comes to a boil add katsuobushi at once, after
10 seconds turn off flame.
- Prepare strainer covered with thin cloth on top.
- When katsuobushi are sinking down place it on the strainer.
Reuse the ingredients for 2nd dashi.
|Wipe surface of Kelp and put into pot with water.
||Remove kelp when kelp comes up on surface.
||Just before coming to a boil add katsuobushi. turn
||When katsuobushi are sinking down place it on the strainer.|
Niban dashi (2nd dashi)
Recycled Kelp and katsuobushi from 1st dashi, 5 cm square
Kelp, 3 cups water, 5 g katsuobushi.
- Place recycled ingredients and a new piece of kelp into pot with water,
- Add katsuobushi when it come to a boil. Continue heat on low
flame for 10 minutes.
- Stop heat, put it on strainer covered with a thin cloth on top.
|Place recycled ingredients and a new kelp into pot with water,
||Add katsuobushi when it come to a boil. Continue heat
on low flame for 10 minutes.|
Ingredients: 15 cm square dried kelp, 5 cups water.
- Soak in water for 2 hours.
- Option: soak it in water for a while and take out just when it comes
to a boil.
|Soak konbu in water for 2 hours.|
Ingredients: Niboshi (dried baby sardines), 5 cups water.
- Remove head and guts from niboshi, place them in pot, start
heat. For adding flavor and taste, toast them lightly before use.
- Keep flame middle (rather low) to simmer for 10 minutes, while skimming
- Stop heat, put it on strainer with thin cloth on top.
|Remove head and guts from niboshi.
||Keep flame middle to simmer for 10 minutes.
||Stop heat, put it on strainer with thin cloth on top.|