- Remove head and black vein. Usually both come off together, but when
it is difficult to remove black vein insert a bamboo stick beneath the
bended back of shrimp.
- Peel shell except tail part. Cut tip of tail diagonally, press shrimp
lightly with knife to remove excess water. Do this to prevent oil from
popping while frying.
- Score shrimp on belly side and bend back other side so that it does
not curl when frying.
(Also, see "Tempura"
- Hold fish by it's head while removing scales with knife.
- Gut fish completely, remove head and wash carefully.
- Nimai oroshi (slice into 2 pieces)
Place fish tail foward. Insert knife along the edge of the spine. cut lengthwise
to tail. If fish is large, insert knife 2-3 times on both sides and slice.
- Sanmai oroshi (slice into 3 pieces)
Place the piece of fish which has the spine on the chopping board. Insert
knife between meat and spine cut all the way to the tail.
- Harabiraki (open fish from belly)
Place fish head forward. Insert knife from belly to back fin along spine,
cut toward tail while pulling knife backward. Lay fish on spine toward
tail. Remove spine and rib bones by scraping with knife,while using other
hand to hold fish opened.
- Sebiraki (open fish from back)
Place fish toward head. Insert tip of knife from back fin along spine,
pull knife all the way toward the tail. Place fish on spine toward tail.
Remove spine and rib bones by scraping with knife use other hand to hold
|Hold fish by it's head while removing scales with knife.
||Cut from belly.
||Gut fish completely.|
||Nimai oroshi (slice into 2 pieces)
||Harabiraki (open fish from belly)
||Sebiraki (open fish from back)|
- Place on chopping boad. Pull legs and internal organs out together
without breaking organs. Use other hand to hold top part (empera).
- Cut squid in the center to open and remove bone like shell inside.
- With tightly squeezed damp cloth scrape both outer and inner skin.
- With a dry cloth remove the thin skin on the inside.
- Cut off the triangle part of squid diagonally, cut the remaining part
lengthwise into 3 - 4 pieces.
- Remove ink bag from the organs using a bamboo stick. Be careful not
to break it.
- Remove legs from rest of organs. Organs are use for shiokara.
- Cut off all legs, scrape skin using tip of knife.